3 questions on vSwitch design:
1-How much vSwitch should I have? single or multiple?
2-Which type of vSwitch should be used? vSS or vDS?
3-should each FCOE port running mix of FC and network flow?
my environment is:
2 piece of 2 10Gb ports FOCE CAN cards per Server
Cisco 5K switches connect to same network VLAN.
EMC vnx5700 with FCOE interface
VMWare version is 5.0.1
I will use vDirector for whole operation.
What I am planning:
1- use as less as possible vSwitch. I am planning to use 1 vSwitch.
1a-in my environment, all ESXi servers will connect to the same network VLAN, single and multiple vSwitches is same function level on both performance, security.
1b-vSwitch count is not important. but Port Group is more important and could provide the same level of performance, security.
1c-multiple vSwitch is same as single vSwitch function from ESXi software level, all the vSwitch is logically split by ESXi but they are the same from physical level.
2- use only one type. I am planning to use vDS only.
2a-in my environment, all ESXi servers will connect to the same network VLAN, for vDS or vSS it looks like the same.
2b-it looks like vDirector need all ESXi servers have same vDS vSwitch.
3- not or do the split the FC and network flow.
3a- each ESXi server will have 4 SPF ports on two CAN cards to provide enough redundancy on both card level and port level.
3b- 2 ports on the same CAN card will connect to the same Cisco 5K switch. This will provide port level redundancy when split FC and network flow.
3c- 2 CAN cards will connect to different Cisco 5K switch. This will provide card level redundancy.This will provide port level redundancy when not split FC and network flow.
3d- if I choose to split the FC and network flow on each port as there are two cards with 4 ports, the redundancy level is still on both port and card level with a 99.9999% no-failure rate
3e- if I choose to not split the FC and network flow on each port but use 1 port as network another as FC connection on the same card, the redundancy level is still on both port and card level with a 99.99% no-failure rate. but will make the whole operation more easier.
3f- so the split the FC and network flow decision should based on the cards and the ports on the server. if you have only one CAN card with 2 ports on the server, you will need to split the FC and network flow and get only port level redundancy. if you have 2 CAN cards with total 4 ports on the server, either split or not should be fine to the whole design.
What others saying
1. 思科 live 2009 session brkct-2868. 他说到，无需使用多vSwitch来分离数据流量。Link: http://files.netcore.be/Cisco%20Networkers%202009%20-%20All%20Sessions/Breakouts/BRKDCT/BRKDCT-2868/BRKDCT-2868.pdf
2. Vmware 高级系统工程师写的文档。没有必要使用多个vswitch 来分离数据流量和sc，vmkernel 的流量。 Link: http://wenku.baidu.com/view/b3a59c8483d049649b6658b0.html
3. 一个思科专家design的设计，也只用到了单vswitch， 同时该设计也是基于CNA卡的。 Link：http://bradhedlund.com/2009/07/05/cisco-ucs-vmware-vswitch-design-cisco-10ge-virtual-adapter/
4. 有一个人说vSwitch 的配置应该要周全的考虑。他列举了一些不好的design会导致的问题：http://etherealmind.com/vmware-vswitch-does-not-scale-design/
5. 有一个人说vswitch的数量并不重要，重要的是分好port group. http://kensvirtualreality.wordpress.com/2009/04/17/the-great-vswitch-debate-part-5/
12. Vmware networking best practice: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc_50%2FGUID-6B49866F-7005-4099-84AC-4FB2A1A91F64.html
13. VMWARE fcoe支持数量为4，http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc_50%2FGUID-6B49866F-7005-4099-84AC-4FB2A1A91F64.html